End of the Last War
A brief timeline (and just as a warning, a lot of this is done from memory without sourcebooks, so some of it might be off a bit):
- ??? Creation myth holds that the world was created by the three Primordial Dragons, Eberron, Syberys, and Khyber. Syberys and Khyber fought each other, but just before Khyber could strike the killing blow Eberron wrapped him in her coils. Many of the evil things that live beneath the earth are therefore referred to as Children of Khyber (and of course, this links to the Cults of the Dragon Below), while the Ring of Syberys is quite prominent in the night sky. Legend has it that when the blood of Syberys fell to strike the surface of Eberron, life sprung up, with the first drops forming the dragons, while the lesser races came from the less pure drops.
- ??? The Age of Demons – raging up out of Khyber, the demon rakshasas conquered the planet and ruled for hundreds of thousands of years. Eventually the dragons achieved sentience enough to fight back, but ultimate victory only came when a race known as the couatyl (angelic feathered serpent beings)
- 60,000 years ago – 20,000 years ago The Age of Giants – Giants rose to prominence on Xen’drik (although had outposts of other continents), rising even further with the oversight of the dragons, who taught the giants the secrets of magic. However, for unknown reasons the giants were involved in a multi-front war, whose planned actions led to draconic retribution with the destruction of the giant civilization and much of the continent
- 15,000 – 5,000 years ago – The Age of Monsters – The Dhakaani Empire rules much of Khorvaire. Hobgoblins formed the bulk of the empire, including the ruling class, while bugbears were the muscle, and goblins performed many of the menial tasks (as well as espionage). After defeating an invasion from Xoriat, with the help of the Gatekeeper druids, the empire slowly crumbled into ruin
- -3,000 YK – The explorer Lhazaar is the first human to set foot on Khorvaire, in the area that now bears her name; gradually subjugating the native goblin population
- -2,000 YK – The first Dragonmarks appear amongst the elves, who will eventually consolidate into House Phiarlan and move from Aerenal to Khorvaire. Shortly thereafter, the Marks of Sentinel and Making appear amongst the humans of northeastern and southern Khorvaire, respectively.
- -500 YK – a second wave of human refugees land on the western coast of Khorvaire, integrating themselves with the orcs of the Shadow Marches.
- 0 YK – The Karrnathi warlord Galifar is born; over the course of his lifetime, he conquers the other Five Nations to form the empire that bore his name.
- 892 YK – The Last War breaks out, as Emperor Jarot dies after a prolonged paranoia led to continent-wide military buildup anticipating an invasion from “somewhere”. Each of the Five Nations had their own standing military by this time, and they were turned on each other as each regional ruler sought to take the Throne of Galifar for him or herself.
- 894 YK – The queen of Cyre is assassinated. The Order of the Emerald Claw claims responsibility.
- 908 YK – Her successor is likewise assassinated. The Emerald Claw is still thought to be the perpetrators.
- 972 YK – Regent Moranna takes the reins of Karrnath. The Order of the Emerald Claw is outlawed as a terrorist faction, and worship of the Blood of Vol is strongly discouraged.
- 992 YK – King Kaius III takes the throne, and immediately begins taking steps to try to bring the Last War to an end.
- 994 YK – the campaign begins